How do I start homeschooling my children?

Well, you probably already are!  The activities that you do with your children can be so valuable to their education and their future, even if they are not officially “school.”  However, if you have decided to officially begin schooling your children from home, the first step is to notify your disctrict’s board of education within 2 weeks of the first day of school for that district (typically by the second week of August).  This is called a letter of intent.

What is a letter of intent?

This is a letter that notifies your board of education that you will be homeschooling your children.  The notice should include your school name and address, your children’s names and ages, and contact information.  Send via certified mail.  An example can be found here.

For Murray Independent Schools, send your letter to:
Lou Carter, Director of Pupil Personnel
Carter Administration Building
208 South 13th St.
Murray, KY 42071

For Calloway County Schools, send your letter to:
Josh McKeel, Director of Pupil Personnel
2110 College Farm Road
Murray, KY 42071

What records do I need to maintain?

A minimum of attendance records and grade reports need to be maintained if the child is at least 6 by August 1, and until he/she is 18..

What subjects do I need to teach in KY?

Reading, writing, spelling, grammar, history, mathematics, science, and civics need to be included in your homeschool curriculum.

How many days do I need to homeschool?

1062 hours of instruction over the course of at least 170 days need to be provided to your children under the private school statute.

How do I know what curriculum is right for my family?

The HSLDA website has created a great article on this subject!

*Please note that this is not to be considered legal advice.